Shekhar Kapur

Shekhar Kapur

Filmmaker Shekhar Kapur talked about his ambitious project Paani on his birthday on December 6. By the way, he doesn’t like being wished ‘Happy Birthday’. He turned 64, but he says, “No, I’m 52.” He adds, “Okay, so I’m 64, but why do you have to bring that up? Birthdays are just another day in your life. I don’t believe in sun signs either. I don’t think people’s characteristics can be divided into 12 types.”

With the news of Boney Kapoor set to produce sequel to Mr. India, doesn’t he feel bad about not directing it? “It was my baby 19 years ago. I don’t own the copyright. So, I’m not possessive about it,” says Shekhar. What’s his take on Salman Khan roped in to play Mogambo, played by Amrish Puri in the original? “No one asked me about it, so I don’t have an opinion. It all depends on how interesting the new characters are,” added the director.

Meanwhile, he is focusing on his ambitious film Paani. The film will go on floors in April next year and supposed to released in September 2011. Revealing details of the film, he said, “Since it’s set in the future, the whole world is being built on the computer. It’s about a city that runs out of water. Individual rural farming communities have died down; people have migrated from the villages to the cities for water. However, the highly populated cities will also run out of water soon. Paani is about the future, in which water becomes a tool of political and social exploitation.”

Does the film have same intentions that of Al Gore’s? “Gore made a documentary; mine will be a commercial film. It’s to show the world what’s happening, in an emotional way,” he stated.

For the film, Shekhar has done research almost for a decade. “Now, I give lectures on water. I’ve become quite a water activist. I’ve spoken to scientists like R K Pachauri to learn about the issue,” he added.

The film will also include a love story and talking about the casting for the film, he said, “I have some people in mind, but will cast whoever is available at that point. There will also be six to seven kids inthe film.”

Along with direction, Shekhar will also produce the film. “It’ll be made on a budget of $ 25-30 million. I won’t accept funding from any studio to ensure independence of expression. I am, however, sure that Paani will do at least as much business as Slumdog Millionaire. It’ll rake in half a billion dollars,” added the filmmaker.

Buddha is also one of the ambitious projects of Shekhar Kapur, but the film didn’t start because of creative differences between him and the producer. However, seems like he has found solution to this, as he says, “I’m still fascinated by Buddha. But the producer and I had a difference of interpretation. So, I might produce it myself.”